Friday, March 5, 2010

Dutch Apple Baby w/ Yogurt Berry


Dutch Apple Baby w/Yogurt Berry

I don't know about your family, but breakfast around here can either start the day with a bang or a boo. We LOVE breakfast! We could eat it Morning, Noon, and Night. If I want my kids to say to me, "You are the greatest Mommy in the Whole Wide World", I'll surprise them with Dutch Apple Baby for breakfast, and then the whole day seems to be roses and sunshine. We're a simple lot and I like it that way.

I use this recipe with my VitaMix (the ultimate kitchen appliance, in which I am thoroughly in love with at the moment) BUT, I am pretty confident that you can use a regular blender too. I will pray for those of you without a Vita-Mix, but until you get one, will you make this recipe with your blender and let me know how yummy it turns out?

Happy Breakfast Making!

Dutch Apple Baby w/ Yogurt Berry
Serves 4...if you're hungry, make 2 batches. My family always wants more!

For Apples:
2 Tbsp raw butter
3 Lrg. apples (core and sliced)
1/4 cup natural sugar or brown sugar (I think I'm gonna try Rapadura or Raw Honey next)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

For Egg Mix:
3 farm fresh eggs
1/2 Cup Spelt Flour (if you don't have Spelt, use Whole Wheat or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour)
1/2 Cup Raw Milk (I wonder if you could use coconut milk...hmmmm)
1 TBSP Raw Plain Yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract


Apples:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Grease pie plate with oil (I use Olive Oil)

3. Peel & core & slice 3 apples


4. Saute apples in butter with natural sugar and cinnamon until apples are coated and are tender.


5. Pour cinnamon apples in bottom of pie plate.


For Egg Mixture:

1. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the Vita-Mix in the order listed.



2. Select Variable 1 (don't forget the lid)

3. Turn VitaMix on and turn it to Variable 10 quickly, then to High.

4. Blend for 30 seconds.

5. Pour egg mixture over apples in pie plate. Bake for 20 min.



6. Cut into pie slices and serve.


This is Dutch Apple Baby w/out Yogurt or Berries
(you can serve it this way too if you prefer).


7. Top with raw plain yogurt (sweetened with raw honey and a touch of cinnamon if you'd like)

8. Top with fresh blueberries & other berries (thawed frozen berries if not in season). You can mash them just a touch so you have a bit of juice with it.


It is prettier if you wait to put the yogurt & berries on top
of individual servings rather than like this and then cut into it and serve
but it's totally up to you. Both ways taste YUMMY!

*I recommend to not have too much juice cause it can get a little soupy. If you are thawing the berries, leave some of the juice out.

ENJOY!

(note: this recipe is a variation of the Dutch Apple Baby recipe in one of the VitaMix Cookbooks).


No comments:

Post a Comment