Sunday, May 9, 2010

New Mother's Day Tradition


As I was laying in bed this morning God gave me a great idea for a new Mother’s Day tradition. I then prayed He would bring to mind all the wonderful things about each of my children and my husband. At breakfast as we were all gathered around the table I told each of my children how honored I felt to be their Mother. I could tell each of my children were eagerly awaiting it to be their turn, knowing that they were going to be affirmed, wondering what their Mother found uniquely special and wonderful about them.

My oldest daughter, Hannah (9) had tears in her eyes as I spoke into her little heart. Things she thought went unnoticed, indeed were noticed, appreciated and celebrated in front of the whole family. The treasures her Mother found in her made her sit a little taller and made her smile grow a little bigger with each affirmation. My husband listened intently, thinking the affirmations would stop at the last child. I could tell he was proud of what was taking place and agreed with the gold I had found in each child.

Then I turned to my husband and began, “And I am so thankful and honored that you are the Father of my children because…” He sat there quietly, not daring to interrupt. Receiving everything I offered. I realized at that moment I don’t do this nearly enough. He was hanging on every word. These wonderful, beautiful people I come in contact with every day of the week, who see me at my best and definitely at my worst and still love me, do they hear enough why I think so highly of them?  No, not nearly enough. But today they will.

The looks on their faces! Little hearts like sponges for words of affirmations, soaking up every morsel of sweet truth about how wonderful they are. What an incredible breakfast we shared this morning. I don’t know who’s hearts were more filled, theirs or mine. You know, a powerful thing happens when you concentrate on people’s strengths and you put those strengths on display for all to see and honor. I found myself more in love with my children and my husband today after thinking on and verbalizing these unique qualities they each possess. What a gift, I gave to them. What a gift, I gave myself.

The wonderful thing about this Mother’s Day Tradition is that I don’t have to wait until next Mother’s Day to do it again. Do you want to have a “Happy” Mother’s Day today? Maybe you can try our new Mother’s Day tradition and make it your own. You will be blessed and your heart will be full. You will look back on today and see it as a truly Happy Mother’s Day. God bless you friends! God bless you Mothers!

3 comments:

  1. So sweet. :) I love your heart for your fam. Happy mommy's day to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Amanda! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda,

    I hang on your every word when you speak and this article is no different. You dish out words of wisdom by every syllable you write. I am blessed to know you. And I appreciate the Lord ever the more that I get to glean from the fresh manna he pours into you regularly. Thank you for being who you are. My eyes are filled with tears on the love you have for your family and in your heart. I pray that one day, I will express myself to those I love with the sincerity and openness you do as the Lord continues to transform my heart.

    Truly a reflection of Christ was shown in this act of Love and I commend you for sharing it with us. Every time we connect I am a little more hopeful on a brighter future as a mother to the wondrous seeds the Lord has blessed me with. You encourage me beyond feelings that I can express.

    I love you Amanda Bishop. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete